Ideal for manufacturing highly-sensitive electronics: atmospheric and low-pressure plasma
In the electronics industry, Plasma pretreatment is a key asset for achieving cost-effectiveness and process reliability. For transparent, scratch-proof coating of displays, it significantly reduces the reject rate and ensures a flawless appearance. When printing electrically conductive coatings on printed circuit boards, prior plasma activation, microfine cleaning and electrostatic discharge ensure that the coating will adhere securely. In chip packaging, Openair-Plasma® microfine cleaning eliminates the need for a vacuum chamber.
The introduction of Openair-Plasma® was a milestone in the development of our sensor production.
Benefits of Openair-Plasma® technology
- Selective: switch on and off on the fly
- Super-fine cleaning (component cleaning) without damaging sensitive structures
- Targeted functionalization of surfaces for selective additional processing
- Environmentally friendly: no wet chemicals required
- Cost-effective: operates with oil-free compressed air
- In-line capability: no effect on process time because the plasma process takes less time than the conformal coating process
Openair-Plasma® is used to modify surface characteristics so as to enhance the adhesion of materials (such as coatings) to the substrate (PCB). It removes all organic and silicone-based impurities. Oxygen in the form of hydroxyl and ketone groups are incorporated into non-polar surfaces to activate the surface. The result is high surface energy (over 72mN/m) and in most cases, complete wettability.